Saturday, November 5, 2011

Repurposed Huntington University Sweatshirt

I started out with my purple Huntington University sweatshirt. 
It never really fit quite right, so I thought I'd 
repurpose it by 
making a messenger bag.

I first cut off the sleeves, and cut down the middle, using scissors...

Here I'm showing you how the bag would look on the inside pouch.

The Huntington University logo will be on the front of the bag.

I'm going to sew the bottom of the sweatshirt together. 
This will be the bottom of the messenger bag.

For cleaner sewing purposes, I turned the sweatshirt inside out.

I already had the right color of thread--exciting! 
Black thread would also work well.

The sewing of the bottom of the future bag is complete!

Here's what it looks like sewn together.

I cut off the hood.
This will be a clutch or a drawstring bag of sorts.
More DIY to come for sure.

Here's the hole. I sew it together later as you'll see.


The sleeves I cut earlier, I also cut again in order 
to make the handle for the bag.

here are the sleeves together

As you can see, the neck is sewn together now.

I cut off the cuffs to use in another DIY project.

I made 3 or 4 buttons to connect the separated sleeves.
I cut the sleeves into thin lines of fabric that I could sew together 
as seen in this photo and future photos.


I snipped the fabric using the scissors to create a hole.
Then I sewed around the created hole
so that it wouldn't snag.

and voila!


Here's the strap connecting to the bag.

...putting the strap onto the button on one side of the bag...

success!

Completed and hanging on a door so you can see its length.

close-up



inside of bag

pockets!

inside of big, main pocket

 modeling the bag



Messenger bag complete & fits wonderfully!





3 comments:

  1. You are too stinking snazzy for your own good. I wish I had photographed the bags I had designed and made on PRIME. So fun. I turn old t-shirts into quilts and very simple bags. But never thought of doing that! Absolutely LOVE it!
    Aaron*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Aaron! I wanna see your tshirt quilts!
    and Gen, we need to get together and do some crafts!

    ReplyDelete