Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pages 1-7 complete!

This is the cover for the memory book. I used gold tissue paper for the binding and flower. "MOM" is made up of golden stickers that I bought at Walmart in a set that cost about $1. The orange background is cardstock, cause my Mom's favorite color is peach (this was the closest I had). And the "what i like about you" is a punch-out that I just glued onto the cardboard square.

"Spring" is cut out from a magazine I have called Real Simple. The flower background is from the cover of the May issue of that magazine. The green "hill" is made from cardstock (the faux grass was done by hand with a regular ballpoint pen). And the word "gardening" was handmade by a black retractable sharpie.
*My mom loves to garden.

The square on the right, has a base that consists of a yellow-goldish cardstock. The black patterned square is paper. The dots are different: I used a single hole-puncher to punch out dots from a cardboard gift box that I haven't used in a while. Why not, right?!  All of the topical phrases and brand name are from Real Simple magazine.
*My mom deserves to have time to take care of herself, and I want to encourage that to happen for her.

"Traditions" is a punch-out that I glued onto the gray-ish flowery torn paper beneath it. And beneath the paper is another patterned paper (that was seen on the last decorated cardboard square). At the top is a thick cardboard border that I glued.

The next square (as well as the other two that follow it) consists of a favored summer outing. The green, pink, and light blue (underneath the word "pool") dots are from the cardboard gift box I mentioned earlier. It's difficult to see, but the "Life Made Easier" phrase at the binding, is from Real Simple magazine (it's the magazine's tagline on the cover). I used the blue and yellow cardboard circles from some item I found laying around the apartment (I can't recall what it was). The "sun's" rays are twisted gold/bronze tissue paper. The smiley face is a sticker. And the word "pool", each letter, is a sticker.

This isn't as good of a picture, unfortunately, but both of these squares consist of traditions we did with Mom.
The left contains to traditions, just as well as the right. The top left is decorating Christmas cookies. The "cookies" are buttons, and again I used the single hole-puncher to make "confetti-like" sprinkles as if decorating. Red tissue paper is the base.

The bottom left is painting Easter Eggs. The base is cut out from the cardboard gift box where I punched out the dots. I used them to signify eggs for this topic. The "e g g s" are each a sticker in a designated "egg". The 2nd "g" got cracked by the ring...

The top right signifies our traditional Valentine's dinner where Mom would make us a dinner (usually steak), and make us a poster with a long note on it that would include words of our favorite candy. However, instead of writing the word of our favorite candy, she would put the literal candy bar or sweet in its place. Clever mama :-)  The heart is a cardboard tracer. So I got a hot pink post-it note, traced the paper, cut out the shape, then glued onto the tracer. The background is red tissue paper.

The bottom right is of our traditional St. Patrick's Day breakfast. Everything was green. Seven-up, scrambled eggs, kiwis (obviously), apples (Granny Smith), and other surprises. She would use her special green food coloring to make the morning creative.

Progress
I have mapped out the themes of the next 13 squares, and am hoping to get a few more accomplished this evening.

Feel free to share what you're up to and any ways I can improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment